Friday, May 3, 2013

Another post on Lyme

I found out the other day that an old friend of my parents who was diagnosed with MS many years ago who was lively and vibrant but quickly deteriorated in health after diagnosis just found out she too has Lyme disease.  She had to travel many provinces away as well to find out this diagnosis.  Is it that hard to believe Lyme is a big problem around here or is it that MS is an easier diagnosis, or is it because more money is to be made from the many medications and therapies MS sufferers take and go through, or is it really the fact that doctors are too ignorant to accept this is really happening and has become a kind of epidemic!
It's not just people diagnosed falsely as MS, many people are told they can't figure out what is wrong with them and they go on knowing there is something wrong with no answers!  This is true with my Mom, and is the reason I was actually diagnosed with Lyme.
My mom had to be hospitalized because of neurological symptoms.  The doctors first thought it was a stroke, then they told her the MRI showed no signs of stroke and it was a seizure and put her on anti-seizure meds.  The list went on and on, throughout this I asked for several different tests to be done which weren't done, Lyme was one of them.  The doctor said that isn't how Lyme manifests itself.  But it totally is, especially when it is in the later stages of the disease.  She has always had a recurring rash as well, anyway fed up with everything my Dad decided to take her to Calgary and told me to come and get checked out for allergies etc too.
Turns out we both have Lyme disease, different stages and different bands, we also both have some allergies, none of them being the same which is funny too but it's obvious to me that Lyme disease is more common than I ever thought it was.  It took my Dad saying enough with all these diagnosis that make no sense, lets try and get somewhere with someone else. 
How long have I been living with Lyme Disease?
Do I have MS and Lyme?
Could I have been treated with anti-biotics years ago and avoided the effects I have had to live with?
So many questions remain unanswered.
I am waiting now for my co-infections results to come back, as ticks can also spread other bacteria as well.  Once that test comes back I will be treated with long course anti-biotics and am hopeful that I will not have further relapses.
The doctor said that the damage that it has caused will likely not be repaired but if treated properly no more damage will be done.
I am so thankful to know what I know now!  Knowledge really is power, especially when it means getting this nasty bacteria out of me!!
See below, makes me want to throw up thinking this is inside of me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment